World Series of Bocce will return

Posted

It was a sad day when Michael Ferlo of the Toccolana Club announced last year that the World Series of Bocce for 2020 was canceled because of COVID-19. Last week, bocce fans could smile again.

Plans are for the WSOB to return this summer.

Ferlo’s statement last year pledged that the organizers of the WSOB were confident the event — one of the summer’s major attractions — would make a triumphant return in 2021.

The 1412 E. Dominick St. Club is in the preliminary stages of looking into hosting the Wld Series of Bocce in 2021. While the size and scope of the event are yet to be determined, it would be held in full compliance with all local and state COVID-19 guidelines still in place at the time, said club officer Joseph Mellace.

Mellace said they are hoping to host the event from Thursday through Sunday, July 15-18.

“Plans are still developing — we started the process,” Mellace said. “And we’re putting together a safety plan to submit to city, county and state. We’re in the process of updating our website now, so all the information about the event, as well as photos from past events, will be posted.”

The Toccolana Club was established in 1925 as a social club by Italian immigrants from the village of Tocco da Casauria in the Province of Pescara in the Abruzzo Region of Italy, according to its website (www.toccolanaclub.com).

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment