OLD FORGE — View arts center, 3273 State Route 28, is hosting a variety of workshops in July. Pre-registration is required for all workshops. To register or for more information, go online to ViewArts.org/workshops or call 315-369-6411 ext. 210:
• Book Arts workshop on July 7 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Syracuse University Professor Holly Greenberg of Printmaking and Book Arts will teach participants three techniques of bookbinding so they leave with their own hand-bound blank books with pages ready to be filled with anything they desire.
Materials will be provided, but participants are encouraged to bring a wide assortment of their favorite papers, card stock, decorative papers, old sketches, works on paper, and more for incorporating into their books.
Cost of this workshop is $65, $55 for View members. Register online by June 30.
• Melon Basket Class will be held on July 8 from 9:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
Instructor Linda Scherz will guide students in weaving a ribbed basket over two round hoops resulting in an 8” basket. All materials and tool will be provided. Cost of the workshop is $90, $80 for View members.
Register online by July 1.
• Surface Design Alchemy Workshop with visiting artist Susan Murray for participants to learn an array of enchanting and unusual surface design techniques for use on paper, canvas, or fabric. The workshop will be on July 12 from 2 to 6 p.m.
These techniques will take one’s art to the next level. Susan walks participants through the step by step process of creating unique textures and designs with paints, plasters, waxes, stencils, and reactive metals to add a little magic to your art!
Cost of the workshop is $110, $100 for View members. Register online by July 5.
To view Susan’s work, go online to: SusanTaylorMurray.com.
• Four-color block prints: Join award-winning artist Jane Davila at View on July 13 from 2 to 6 p.m. to learn how to create a four-color block print using acrylic paint and simple supplies. Print a small edition of prints with the tips and tools you need for perfect registration.
This workshop includes information about composition, creating editions, matting, framing, and the presentation of finished prints. Take your printmaking to the next level!
Participants are asked to bring a sketchbook and a pencil to the workshop. All other materials are supplied for a $20 fee, including printmaking paper, paints, plates, and registration and design guides.
Cost of this workshop is $110, $100 for View members. Register online by July 6. To view Jane’s work, go online to: JaneDavila.com
• “Italicize Yourself!” Calligraphy Class: View Arts Center in Old Forge is hosting a fun, relaxed calligraphy class on July 14 from 1 to 4 p.m. wherein participants will use calligraphy markers to learn the writing of a beautiful, contemporary italic alphabet.
Participants do not need prior experience with calligraphy or lettering. Everything learned in this class can be applied to other calligraphic hands as well. Taught by RIT School of Design professor Lorrie Frear, this class will teach participants a new skill in an encouraging, creative environment.
Cost of this class is $50, $45 for View members. Register online by July 7.
• Mandala Bowl, Glass Workshop with glass artist Susan Cox on July 15 from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Participants will make a large fused glass Mandala bowl using a variety of colorful glass frit and decals.
All materials are included and no experience is necessary. Learn a new skill from a wonderful teacher and leave with a beautiful work of art.
Cost of this workshop is $75, $60 for View members. Register online by July 8.
To view Susan’s work, please visit: SusanCoxGlass.com.
• Pressed Petal People: With summer in full bloom, come learn how to turn pressed flowers, ferns, herbs, and leaves into whimsical works of art through a hands-on class with long-time creator of fantastically fun and successful petal people prints and cards, Martha Starke on July 16 from 4 to 5:30 p.m.
Participants will learn all about the process of flower pressing, and will discuss the best plants to work with, how to prep them for the press, and the different methods of pressing. You’ll leave with lovely compositions of your own creation, made solely from the provided botanicals!
Cost of this class is $50, $45 for View members. Register online by July 9.
To view Martha’s work, go online to: petalpeoplepress.com.
• Wire-Wrap Rings Workshop — a workshop wherein participants will learn to make their own beautiful wire-wrap rings on July 22 from 4 to 6 p.m.
Led by Adirondack artist Jacquelyn Koba, this workshop will teach you the fundamentals of wire-wrapping and give you an overview of wire gauges and tools as you leave with two custom rings sized to your fingers. All materials and tools are provided.
Cost of this workshop is $50, $45 for View members. Register online by July 15.
To view Jacquelyn’s work, go online to: ElementsByJacquelyn.com.