Utica City FC splits weekend pair


HERMOSILLO, Mexico — Utica City FC split a weekend two-game series against Soles de Sonora. Utica came away with a 12-11 overtime victory Saturday then fell 13-5 Sunday.

Saturday, Ricardo Diegues recorded four goals, while Bo Jelovac and Alencar Ventura Junior scored twice and Nate Bourdeau, Cristhian Segura, and Moises Gonzalez all added one goal apiece. Andrew Coughlin made 14 saves in the win.

Diegues got the scoring started 11 seconds into the game, heading a pass from Coughlin past the keeper. Sonora responded 40 seconds later then. Diegues struck again at the 4:22 mark of the quarter but the hosts tied the game up again 14 seconds later. Jelovac put Utica back in front with 5:24 to go in the first, making a run and finishing with a right footed shot.

Diegues netted the hat trick with 4:42 to go in the second quarter, taking a centering pass from Jelovac and chipping a shot over the keeper from in tight for the goal. Sonora answered back 20 seconds later to level the game at four. Segura gave Utica a 5-4 lead with 2:32 to go in the half, taking a bump pass from Junior and beating the keeper far post.

Sonora tied the game again before Junior regained the lead for Utica at the 3:31 mark, putting a shot through the legs of the keeper. Again Sonora tied the game and again Utica took the lead back. Junior scored his second of the night with 8:25 remaining in the third, putting home a board pass from Segura. Bourdeau gave Utica their first multi-goal lead of the night a minute later, taking a board pass from Onua Obasi and beating the keeper point blank with the right foot. Sonora got the next two to tie the game at eight.

Sonora got its first lead of the game 1:23 into the fourth quarter then built the lead to 10-8. Gonzalez brought Utica back within a goal then Diegues tied things up with a power play goal with 5:27 to go. Jelovac put Utica up with a power play goal with 34 seconds to play but Sonora again leveled the contest with 17 seconds to go. 

Callahan scored 1:45 into overtime to give Utica City the win.

On Sunday, Utica City surrendered six goals in the opening quarter and couldn’t recover. For Utica, Alencar Ventura Junior and Gonzalez scored twice, while James Togbah added a goal as well. Coughlin got the start in net, making three saves on nine shots before being replaced by Matt Perrella, who made nine saves on 15 shots.

Utica City returns to action Sunday at home against the Kansas City Comets at 2 p.m.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment