Threat at Herkimer Jr/Sr High School under investigation
HERKIMER — A threat of violence made at Herkimer Jr/Sr High School is under investigation by both local law enforcement and school officials. Police Chief Michael Jory said “a threat was written in a location in the school” on Tuesday, prompting the investigation. Jory said it was determined that it was “safe” to allow “students to attend school” on Wednesday while the investigation was “still active.”
The Herkimer Police Department had an increased police presence at the school on Wednesday as well. No arrests have been made so far.
Herkimer Superintendent Kathleen A. Carney said the police and the school resource officer were notified immediately upon discovery of the threat.
“School safety is on everyone’s mind, especially in the wake of recent and past school tragedies. We must be constantly aware and cautious,” Carney wrote in a message to parents. “I want you to know that we will treat any threat as serious and immediately reach out to law enforcement to investigate. We will do everything in our power to keep our students, staff, and community members safe.” Carney asked parents not to speculate on the threat on social media in order to spare the students unease.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here