VILLAGE OF LOWVILLE — Firefighters had to empty out a farm silo after the third fire in two weeks Sunday evening, according to fire officials.
Authorities said they had been called to fires at the Hanno Farm at 7722 E. State St. on June 10, June 12 and then finally on the evening of June 20 after the contents of a silo caught fire each time. On the first two occasions, responding firefighters watered down the contents to douse the flames.
Yet due to the nature of the compacted silage and the concreate silo, the fire was never fully extinguished, officials said. The owners were working to hire a company to take down the silo, officials added.
On Sunday, authorities said the fire had caused enough damage to break through the sides of the silo at the bottom, causing heavy smoke in the area. Officials said crews attacked the fire through these holes in the silo, and used a ladder truck to shoot water down through the top.
Authorities said they had to remove about 75 to 80% of the silage to finally douse the flames. The owner will still need to tear down the silo.
No one was injured. Officials said the cause is likely spontaneous combustion of the packed, unused silage.
The Lowville, Martinsburg, New Bremen and Castorland fire departments responded.