Return home

Stovetop fire displaces two on West Street

Sean I. Mills
Staff writer
email / twitter
Posted 11/25/22

Two people have been displaced from their homes on West Street following a small stove fire Wednesday night, according to the Rome Fire Department.

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Stovetop fire displaces two on West Street

Posted

ROME — Two people have been displaced from their homes on West Street following a small stove fire Wednesday night, according to the Rome Fire Department.

Deputy Fire Chief David Gratch said a "towel was too close to a stove" while the resident was cooking in the upstairs apartment at about 10:50 p.m. Wednesday. The towel caught on fire, setting off both the smoke alarms and the sprinkler system in the apartment, Gratch stated.

West Street runs parallel to South James Street on Rome's south side.

The resident escaped without injury, the deputy chief said. The fire department responded and helped ventilate the building from the smoke.

"There was no fire damage," Gratch explained. "There was a lot of water damage."

The water damage was enough that the resident and his downstairs neighbor were both displaced, Gratch stated. The American Red Cross is assisting both residents.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here