1. Stanwix Heights Volunteer Fire Department, 6580 Bartlett Road, will host a ham dinner at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. The cost is $12, $6 for children ages 5-12, and children under 5 eat free. The menu includes ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, applesauce, cole slaw, rolls, beverages and dessert. Take outs are available. For more information call 315-337-7310.
2. Mohawk Valley Community College will host a health programs night Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Information Technology Building, room 225, at the Utica campus. Prospective students can learn about how the school accepts students into its health care programs, which include nursing, radiologic technology, respiratory care, surgical technology, health information technology and nutrition/dietetics. Walk-ins are welcome, but registration is encouraged by calling 315-792-5354 or visiting www.mvcc.edu/infosessions.
3. Salvadoran poet Javier Zamora will perform Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Mohawk Valley Community College’s Utica campus, in Schafer Theater in the Information Technology Building. Admission is $5 general, $2 for MVCC employees, and free for MVCC students. Zamora, born in El Salvador in 1990, is the current Wallace Stegner Fellow at Stanford University, said MVCC. Tickets can be purchased at the MVCC Box Office, Information Technology Building room 106, from 10 a.m-2 p.m.; at the College Stores on the Utica and Rome campuses; at mvcc.edu/tickets online; or by calling 315-731-5721.
4. The Sherrill Kenwood Library, 543 Sherrill Road, will host a free presentation with historian John Taibi Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Taibi will present “A Soldier’s Journey through the Heart of the Park.”
5. The public is invited to join the organizers of the annual Great American Irish Festival from 6-9 p.m. Friday for the 2018 Halfway Hooley at Saranac Brewery on Varick Street in Utica. The evening will feature music by Lewington Down, of Enter the Haggas. There will be food, beer specials (cash bar), and 50/50 and basket raffles. Admission is $15 at the door. Organizers will announce this year’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade Grand Marshal and unveil the band line-up for the 2018 Irish Fest held at the Herkimer County Fair Grounds the last weekend in July.
6. Hamilton College Performing Arts begins the spring season with jazz vocalist Alicia Olatuja on Friday at 7:30 p.m., in Wellin Hall, Schambach Center. Olatuja will be by joined by band members Jon Cowherd (piano), David Rosenthal (guitar), Ben Williams (bass) and Ulysses Owens, Jr. (drums) of an evening of jazz and R&B. Tickets are $20, $15 for senior citizens and Hamilton employees, and $5 for students.
7. Nu Psi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha will hold a fundraising party on Saturday at the Radisson Hotel, 200 Genesee St. Cost is $35, $65 for couples. For tickets contact Michelle Laguerre at 315-266-7548 or by email at email@example.com. The Mardi Gras themed event will feature music by DJ CHUCK, food, cash bar, dancing and a 50/50 raffle. Money raised will be used for college scholarships for area students.