Seven displaced by Kossuth Street fire; officials investigating if candle started blaze


A total of seven people were displaced from the Saturday morning fire on Kossuth Street, according to fire officials.

The cause of the fire also remains under investigation.

Five residents on the first floor and two residents on the second floor have been displaced from 210 Kossuth St. and are seeking help from the American Red Cross, fire officials said this morning. One adult and three children were home on the first floor when the fire broke out at about 9 a.m. Saturday, and one adult was home on the second floor.

Fire Chief Ronald M. Brement said the first floor resident admitted to lighting a candle and falling asleep. Brement said investigators are looking into whether or not the candle was the cause of the fire.

Authorities said the alarm was raised at 9 a.m. and flames were discovered on both the first and second floors. Authorities said the fire was under control in about 20 minutes, and crews remained on the scene dousing hot spots and ventilating smoke until shortly after noon.

Fire officials said no one was injured in the fire.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment