Quick work by firefighters saves garage from flames in Lee

Sean I. Mills
Staff writer
emailtwitter
Posted 8/23/19

TOWN OF LEE — No one was injured and the residence was spared after a garage fire on Kiwanis Road Thursday afternoon, according to local fire officials. Lee Center Fire Chief Joseph Kieffer said a …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Quick work by firefighters saves garage from flames in Lee

Posted

TOWN OF LEE — No one was injured and the residence was spared after a garage fire on Kiwanis Road Thursday
afternoon, according to local fire officials.

Lee Center Fire Chief Joseph Kieffer said a passerby spotted the flames at 8849 Kiwanis Road at about 3:30 p.m. The road runs north and south between Lee Center-Taberg Road and Lee Valley Road.

“There was smoke and flames visible” toward the back of the garage on arrival, Kieffer stated.

“We did a quick interior and exterior attack and knocked it down quick,” the chief said. “It was a very good stop.”

Kieffer said the fire was knocked down in about 20 minutes, with damage to the walls of the garage. There were no vehicles inside the garage, just storage items.

“It can be redone,” the chief said of the state of the garage.

The garage was detached from the residence and crews kept the flames from spreading to the home. There was no damage to the residence, and the family was allowed to remain in their home, Kieffer said.

The chief said no one was injured.

The Lee Center and Taberg fire departments responded to the fire.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment