Following a number of recent package thefts, the Utica Police Department has issued some tips for keeping your holiday deliveries safe from "porch pirates".
Police said there were four separate reported package thefts between Nov. 10 and 16. The thefts occurred on Howard Avenue, Jason Street, Bleecker Street and Blandina Street. The thefts remain under investigation.
Tips to prevent package thefts:
• Schedule delivery times and keep tracking information.
• Ship packages to your workplace, if your employer allows it.
• Require a signature for your packages.
• Install security cameras as a deterrent.
• Some businesses, like Amazon, provide local lockers for deliveries and pickups.
• Ask your neighbors to watch for deliveries and retrieve them for you.
• Instruct the delivery drivers to leave the package on a side or backdoor location instead of visible from the street.
Police also said that if you see someone acting strangely and looking at porches in your neighborhood to contact law enforcement.