Popular restaurant to reopen following fire in Verona Beach

VERONA BEACH — The owners of the Spaghetti Factory are hoping to repair and eventually reopen following a kitchen fire on Mother’s Day — cancelling upwards of 450 expected patrons. 
No one was injured in the early morning blaze, which was discovered at about 5 a.m. Sunday by a passing volunteer firefighter.
“It is really too early to know much. The damage, while at face value is minor; I am by no means an expert on fire restoration and repair. I will be meeting with an adjuster and trying to get work stated ASAP,” said owner Jason Spellicy this morning. 
“Our only concerns at this point are with our faithful employees, and trying to get things open ASAP for our loyal guests.”
Restaurant officials posted on their Facebook page on Sunday that they are closed for the immediate future while repairs are underway. They said the damage was confined to small portions of the kitchen, storage space and a restroom. 
They said more than 450 people had been expected to visit the restaurant for Mother’s Day on Sunday.
“It is times like these that you truly understand the value of volunteer fire departments and the brave men and women who devote themselves to helping their neighbors,” said the Facebook post. 
“We are truly grateful today, and will be reopening as soon as possible thanks to the efforts of what seemed to be 100 people this morning.”
Nine volunteer fire departments were dispatched to the scene at 6800 Route 13 after Sylvan Beach Fire Lt. Austin Brown spotted the fire just before 5 a.m. 
“He was driving by on his way to work and saw the fire coming out of one of the vents on the roof,” explained Sylvan Beach Fire Chief Rick Johnson. 
The chief said the fire started somewhere in the kitchen, and the exact cause remains under investigation. The flames then spread up into the attic and vent areas. 
“We made entry into the kitchen door. That’s where they first saw the fire,” Johnson said. 
Water was readily available from nearby hydrants. He said the flames were knocked down and under control within half an hour. 
“It was a great job by everybody,” the chief stated. 
Johnson said four firefighters were raised onto the roof to reach the fire that had spread into the attic and vent system. He said the firefighters had to cut into the roof to reach the flames and put them out. 
The chief said no one was injured during the firefight. He said the owners have insurance on the property, and the fire was well contained. 
“It’s definitely not a total loss,” Johnson stated. “It’s definitely repairable.”
The Sylvan Beach, North Bay, Verona, Durhamville, New London, Vienna and Oneida Castle fire departments responded, along with Canastota and Wampsville out of Madison County. The Cleveland Fire Department in Oswego County was placed on standby. 


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment