No injuries as dryer catches fire on W. Embargo St.

Posted

No one was hurt after a clothes dryer fire on West Embargo Street Monday evening, according to a report by local fire
officials.

Deputy Fire Chief Timothy W. Reilly said the fire was likely caused by old lint deep in the dryer cavity.

Reilly said the resident in the rear apartment at 313 W. Embargo St. called 9-1-1 shortly before 8 p.m. and attempted to put the fire out himself at first.

“He was doing laundry and the fire started in the dryer itself, it was in the lint trap,” Reilly stated this morning.

The deputy chief said the resident used a fire extinguisher to try to put the fire out, but that it failed to fully put out the flames.

“That knocked it down a little bit, but not enough to extinguish the fire.”

Crews responded on the scene and found the apartment full of smoke. Fire crews ran a hose line through the rear of the residence and doused the dryer. Reilly said the flames never extended beyond the dryer, which was removed from the residence.

“The guys did a great job” knocking down the fire, the chief stated.

No one was injured and the resident was not displaced from his apartment, authorities said.

Reilly warned that regularly cleaning the lint trap is not enough to protect from fire, that sometimes lint can become trapped deeper within the cavity of the dryer.

Reilly said that should be cleaned out with a long brush several times a year.

“There’s a little bit more maintenance that goes on with a dryer than people realize,” he stated.

According to city tax records, the property is owned by Lorraine Gaffney, of Moran Post Road, Camden. It has an assessed property value of $65,500.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment