New history markers unveiled in Village of Oriskany
GRAND UNVEILING — John Kasprzyk, a village of Oriskany trustee, pulls the covering to reveal the new historic marker at Summit Park, at the corner of Oklahoma and Utica streets in the village, while Alexis Wechowski Albright, Oriskany Museum curator, looks on during a ceremony on Saturday. The sign reads: “SUMMIT PARK, opened 1897 on Oriskany Bluffs with games, rides, band and dancing. Trolley entered park from Oklahoma Ave. Pres. T. Roosevelt visited 1910.” Kasprzyk, a member of the Battle of Oriskany Historical Society, also set the concrete and post for the sign installation.
CELEBRATING THEIR HISTORY — Members of the board of directors for the Battle of Oriskany Historical Society gather around the new historical signage at Summit Park in the village. From left: Amy Kasprzyk; John Kasprzyk, village of Oriskany trustee; Charles Smith, historical society treasurer; Kelley Bogner; Jim Miller; Deb Miller; Alexis Werchowski Albright, Oriskany Museum curator; Jennifer Werchowski; Pam Tarasiewicz; and Stacy Lindfield. The signage was made possible, in part, by a gift of the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
(Sentinel photos by John Clifford)
People gathered at Summit Park for the historic marker reveal Saturday morning in Oriskany.
(Sentinel photo by John Clifford)