More details on drivers licenses


The February 7 Sentinel had an article on page 2 about drivers licenses that I thought was deficient in two major ways.

First it did not highlight that although the REAL ID license will be required as identification to travel by air in the USA, it did not clearly state that it will not work for ground travel to Canada and Mexico.

An “Enhanced” license will work for both air travel in the USA and ground travel to Canada and Mexico.

Obviously a passport would work for both ground and air travel across those two borders, but for those without a passport the Enhanced License will work for travel by road. Yes, the Enhanced license will cost an extra $30.00, while the REAL ID costs the same as a standard one.

The second deficiency is a pet peeve of mine. Not everyone has internet access. The last paragraph directs the reader to a website for the details of what would be needed to get a REAL ID license. I think that the best way to serve the reader would have been to use that space and ink to list those requirements there in the article.

— David N. Kobernuss, Taberg


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment