Mayor says city won’t tolerate racist abuse in wake of incident

Posted

As of this morning, a police investigation continues into a weekend incident that involved racist graffiti found on a rented U-Haul truck parked outside a residence on First Street.

Police said a Nazi swastika and racial slurs were written on the side of the vehicle sometime early Saturday morning.

A protest over the weekend sprung up in the wake of the incident.

Since then, local officials have decried the action with public statements. 

Among them is a statement issued by Rome Mayor Jacqueline M. Izzo, who said, “Over the weekend we had an unfortunate situation occur to one of our residents on First Street. The City of Rome does not condone the use of racial slurs or racist graffiti on public or personal property. I offer my condolences to the victim of this heinous act, and ensure the community that the Rome Police Department is investigating this incident thoroughly. If and when a perpetrator is identified, we will prosecute that person or persons to the fullest extent of the law. Rome has always been a welcoming melting pot of different ethnicities who have helped our community grow and thrive, and we will not tolerate this activity in our neighborhoods.”

More

In a matter connected to the case, Rome Police Chief Kevin C. Beach this morning denied rumors that a city police officer had posted online the home addresses of people who attended a protest on First Street on Sunday.

Beach said his department has received no such complaints against any officer.

Sentinel staff writer Sean I. Mills contributed to this story.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment