Madison County is continuing to dry and separate the records that came out of a County Courthouse time capsule on April 16, with the goal of being able to put them on display soon, the county said.
The time capsule had been placed in the cornerstone of the Madison County Courthouse on Jan. 7, 1909.
Despite being tightly sealed within a copper box, the contents were saturated with water, the county noted. Representatives from the county met with New York State Archives to better ascertain the next steps needed to stabilize and preserve the documents, as many are in poor condition.
An inventory of what was in the time capsule has been completed. Once items have been properly preserved, they will be put on display in the County Office Building. Details will go out through local news media as well as Madison County’s social media feeds, the county added.
Among the inventory of time capsule items:
• Morning Musicale Program (Madison County Centennial Program Concert); DeRuyter Masonic Lodge 1908 Membership Roster; DeRuyter Masonic Lodge History & By-Laws; Constitution & By-Laws of the Madison County Bar Association; Oneida Masonic Lodge Directory 1906; Madison County Historical Society Charter and By-Laws; Colgate University Professor Thomas address; Letter from DD Norton Plumbing.
• Madison County Bar Association Member list Past & Present 1/5/1909; History of Canastota masonic Lodge No 231; Photo of the Building Committee; Morrisville Masonic Lodge No 654 1/7/1908; Short history of Cautious Lodge, Georgetown; History of Masonry in Cazenovia; Oneida Masonic Token; Cazenovia Masonic Token; .25 Quarter 1908; .50 Half Dollar 1908; Handwritten letter (unreadable).
• List of Madison County officials; Postcard from Hamilton Masonic Lodge; History of Hamilton Lodge 1/1/1909; History of Hamilton Lodge 1906; History of the Sullivan Lodge; Mystic Order of the Veiled Prophets History (Masonic); Photo of Oneida Lodge (Very poor condition); Blank paper.
• Cyrus Chapter (Hamilton, Masonic) History; Madison County 1906 Centennial Poster; Madison County 1906 Centennial Program; Constitution of the Old Ladies Home; Madisonesis 1908 Christmas; May 1908 Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons; Proceedings of the Grand Chapter, State of New York; Religious Denominations of Madison County, New York
• Several newspapers with dates from 1906 to 1909, including the DeRuyter Gleaner; Madison County Leader; Madison County Times; Oneida Democratic Union; The Brookfield Courier; The Canastota Bee; The Canastota Journal; The Cazenovia Republican; The Earlville Standard; The Endeavor Harold; The Evening Courant; the Hamilton Republican; The Madison Times; The Oneida Dispatch; The Oneida Post.