VILLAGE OF CAZENOVIA — A bulging drum of hydrogen peroxide at Knowles Manufacturing in Madison County prompted a hazardous materials response on Wednesday.
The Syracuse Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Response Team was called to assist after the drum was found in the chemical room at the manufacturing plant. The drum contained 50% hydrogen peroxide and was bulging unsafely, officials said.
The building was evacuated and no workers or citizens were exposed, officials said. The chemical room also contained plastic drums of methanol, so crews said they exercised extra precautions.
The hazmat team depressurized the bulging drum within an hour, halting the threat. No one was injured, officials stated.