Return home

House catches on fire after failed bid to rid bees from home

Sean I. Mills
Staff writer
emailtwitter
Posted 7/20/18

No one was injured when a resident on West Dominick Street attempted to get some bees out of his wall with fire.Deputy Fire Chief Thomas M. Iacovissi said the resident at 615 W. Dominick St. …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

House catches on fire after failed bid to rid bees from home

Posted

No one was injured when a resident on West Dominick Street attempted to get some bees out of his wall with fire.

Deputy Fire Chief Thomas M. Iacovissi said the resident at 615 W. Dominick St. attempted to burn a beehive out of his wall at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday. The fire got out of control and started spreading through the wall, he stated.

“I’m not sure how he tried to burn it out, but he tried to burn it out,” Iacovissi stated this morning.

The chief said the flames spread into the wall and up to a window. The resident called 9-1-1 and fire crews responded, finding smoke both inside and outside the residence.

“A crew went into the inside of the home, removed the sheetrock and put out the fire,” Iacovissi said.

“The bees were not gone. Bees were all over the place.”

Iacovissi said no one was injured and the resident was allowed to stay in the home. According to city records, the property is owned by Clay W. Clemens.

The chief also advised not using fire to remove bee hives inside your home.

“Hire a professional,” he suggested. “Or use a bee spray.”

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment