HOLLAND PATENT — The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced 21 Sacred Sites Grants totaling $337,000 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York, including $20,000 to the First Presbyterian Church of Holland Patent to help fund steeple restoration.
The Greek Revival complex consists of two nearly identical churches, originally one Presbyterian and one Baptist constructed separately between 1840 and 1844. The churches are constructed of limestone quarried about two miles east in Trenton. In 1965, a building to house the Sunday school was constructed as a hyphen at the rear of the buildings, linking the two structures.
The congregation serves a number of local organizations reaching 3,500 people a year. Among the organizations, the Foothills Rural Community Ministry, a coalition of 14 area churches supported by donations from individuals, merchants, towns and villages. The FRCM runs a year-round food pantry at the church, and organizes a drive to collect school supplies for needy students. In addition to these programs, there is a thrift shop, concerts, 12-step programs, scout meetings, nutritional programs and WIC clinics.
In addition to the activities of the FRCM, the church sponsors twelve-step programs serving more than 20 individuals weekly or over 100 annually, scout meetings with 42 attending weekly, a co-operative extension “Eat Smart NY” nutrition-education program, and monthly WIC clinics. Oktoberfest is an annual event for the community and a major fund-raiser for the church.
“Our current grantees have social service programs that reach 53,000 people across New York State,” said Peg Breen, president, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Our grants help keep these institutions viable, allowing them to continue feeding programs, day care, thrift stores, and recovery meetings. In this time of extreme need, it is even more important to help these congregations continue to serve their communities.”
The Sacred Sites Program provides congregations with matching grants for planning and implementing exterior restoration projects, technical assistance, and workshops. Since 1986, the program has pledged 1,547 grants totaling more than $11.8 million to 824 religious institutions statewide.