At the next “Unity in Our Community Day” gathering on Saturday, Jan.18 at First Presbyterian Church in Rome, Sam Pendergrast leads community members and leaders in a process called “asset mapping.” This process helps to identify community strengths and assets and use them to address needs in the Rome area.
Asset mapping consists of identifying:
• Associations with voluntary groups, organizations, and service clubs.
• Skills we have that we would enjoy sharing or using to serve others.
• Physical assets of our churches and other institutions.
• Things we know something about that we would enjoy sharing with others.
• Things we care deeply about.
• Institutions we are associated with.
The process involves posting all our assets on a blank wall and then making connections and putting the pieces together in order to accomplish something. Everyone is welcome to attend, get involved, and help discover how together we can strengthen our community.
The program begins at 10:30 am at the First Presbyterian Church, 108 West Court St. A potluck lunch immediately follows at noon. Phone the church office at (315) 336-1380 with questions. RSVPs appreciated, but not necessary, by Jan. 16.