Fireworks in trash lead to fire, Rome officials say
ROME — Some improperly disposed of fireworks are to blame for burning down a shed on Woodland Avenue in Rome very early Tuesday morning, according to the Rome Fire Department.
Rome Deputy Fire Chief Timothy W. Reilly said a passerby walking their dog at 3:30 a.m. spotted the fire near a residence at 611 Woodland Ave. Tuesday. Woodland Avenue is a short alley that runs between East Thomas Street and Pleasant Avenue, parallel to Black River Boulevard.
“Someone walking their dog thought it was a grass fire,” Reilly said.
“It was improperly disposed of fireworks that may have smoldered in the garbage can.”
Deputy Chief Reilly said it is believed that the fireworks were tossed in the outdoor garbage and were left to smolder and catch fire again. The flames then spread from the garbage can to the shed they were up against, then to a nearby tree. The residence was a few feet away and could have caught fire if the flames had been allowed to spread further, authorities stated.
City firefighters rushed to the scene and used a single handline to douse the flames within a matter of minutes, Reilly stated. He said they kept the flames from spreading to the home.
The shed and most of its contents were destroyed, including a grill, tools and other general storage.
“They probably didn’t hose the fireworks off as well as they should have,” Reilly said about the fire.
“Anything you ignite — from fireworks to birthday candles — still has a burn capacity if you don’t get them wet before you dispose of them. That’s really the best practice: to soak them down.”
No one was injured.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here