A Rome man was rescued off his roof on Roosevelt Avenue in the middle of Thursday afternoon’s heat and humidity.
Fire Lt. James T. Harris Jr. said the man climbed onto his own roof at about 1 p.m. to check and see if there was a bird’s nest in his chimney. He had used a ladder to climb up from a porch roof.
According to the National Weather Service, the temperature was about 81 degrees, with 67% humidity at the time.
Harris said the high temperatures caused the shingles on the roof to become slippery.
“It became very slippery while he was up there. He couldn’t get his footing on the way down,” Harris explained.
The fire department was alerted at 1:22 p.m. and responded with their own ladders, and a firefighter went up to help him down, Harris said. He added that the man was not injured.
“Maybe just his pride,” Harris joked. The man did not suffer any effects of heat exhaustion or heat stroke, he stated.
People are encouraged to postpone outdoor work this weekend in light of an excessive heat warning from the National Weather Service.