Return home

Firefighters douse chimney fire at auto repair shop

Posted 1/27/20

A chimney fire at Ace Auto Repair on Rapke Road was quickly extinguished Sunday afternoon. City fire officials said they were dispatched to a reported structure fire at the auto shop at 7513 Rapke …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Firefighters douse chimney fire at auto repair shop

Posted

A chimney fire at Ace Auto Repair on Rapke Road was quickly extinguished Sunday afternoon.

City fire officials said they were dispatched to a reported structure fire at the auto shop at 7513 Rapke Road shortly after 1 p.m., on the short, dead-end roadway just to the west of the Tractor Supply store on Erie Boulevard West.

Fire officials said they met with shop owner Carl Holz, who said he was burning paper and plastic in his wood stove when the building started filling with smoke.

Officials said the fire was contained to the chimney flue, either burning plastic or creosote, the tar-like substance that builds up in chimneys. Officials said they removed the chimney cap and used chains to knock the burning material loose.

The chimney fire was under control by 1:30 p.m., authorities said. The fire did not extend beyond the chimney so there was no further damage to the building. Officials said the smoke detectors were working.

The property is owned by Lawrence Vergilito, authorities said. No one was injured.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment