CITY OF SHERRILL — A mechanical fire in a dust collector outside Sherrill Manufacturing tied up firefighters Tuesday afternoon, but caused no serious damage, company and fire officials said this morning.
“Just a little bit of a production hiccup,” explained president Matt Roberts this morning. “We’re putting everything back together now.”
Sherrill Fire chief Robert Healy said there was a mechanical problem inside one of the dust collectors outside the East Seneca Street facility at about 9:30 a.m., causing the dust to catch on fire inside.
The area filled with smoke and volunteers from four departments responded to the scene.
Healy said they had to deal with “smoldering dust” as they tried to knock down the small fire.
“It was very contained, just a stubborn and time-consuming fire to put out,” Chief Healy
The fire was out in less than an hour and no one was injured, officials said.
Roberts explained that, though rare, fires are known to spark in the dust collectors and they are prepared.
The Sherrill, Oneida Castle, Vernon and Vernon Center fire departments were dispatched to the scene.