Dryer fire displaces family of three

Sean I. Mills
Staff writer
emailtwitter
Posted 4/19/19

A family of three has been displaced from their West Pine Street home after their clothes dryer caught on fire in the basement Thursday evening. Fire officials said one member of the Flanigan family …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Dryer fire displaces family of three

Posted

A family of three has been displaced from their West Pine Street home after their clothes dryer caught on fire in the basement Thursday evening.

Fire officials said one member of the Flanigan family went downstairs to check on the laundry at about 7 p.m. and discovered the dryer and the surrounding area on fire. The family fled the residence and called 9-1-1. West Pine Street runs east and west between North Madison Street and Black River Boulevard, just east of Rome Free Academy Stadium.

Responding firefighters found smoke coming out of a side entrance. They ran a hose line down into the basement and knocked down the flames in about 12 minutes, officials said. The fire damage was contained to the dryer and the nearby electrical wiring. The residence sustained smoke damage throughout.

Deputy Fire Chief Timothy Reilly said the Flanigan family stayed with other family for the night. He said their home is repairable.

Officials said the fire was caused by an excess of dryer lint built up in the dryer vent pipe.

No one was injured in the fire, authorities stated.

The Rome Fire Department advises all homeowners to keep their dryers clean of lint because a build up of lint is the leading cause of dryer fires. Authorities said the lint gathers in more than just the lint trap, including in the vent pipe and in the dryer cavity.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment