Defendant in Capitol riot opts again to represent himself after lawyer withdraws
WASHINGTON D.C. — Due to an “irretrievable breakdown in communication” with his attorney, the New Hartford man charged with participating in the Jan. 6, 2021 riot and attack on the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C. has once again opted to represent himself in Federal Court, according to court records.
Eric Bochene’s previously assigned attorney, John Gilsenan, of Syracuse, has left the case entirely.
No trial date has been set in the ongoing case.
Bochene, 50, of Pinecrest Road, New Hartford, is charged with two counts each of knowingly entering and remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority, and violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.
Authorities said Bochene was one of hundreds of people who stormed and entered the Capitol Building in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021 while a joint session of Congress was underway to certify the election of President Joseph Biden.
Authorities said Bochene
was publicly photographed multiple times inside the building, and he later admitted to investigators who visited him at his home.
Bochene was charged in May 2021, and by September, he had asked to act as his own attorney, according to court documents.
Judge Randolph D. Moss granted Bochene’s request, and Gilsenan stayed on as supporting counsel.
In January 2022, Bochene requested that Gilsenan be reinstated as his attorney, and that was granted as well.
But according to paperwork filed in court by Gilsenan, there has been an “irretrievable breakdown in communication” since Feb. 9.
A hearing was held on May 20 to discuss the withdrawal and Judge Moss again granted Bochene’s request to represent himself.
He will be aided by the Federal Public Defenders office, according to officials.
Bochene’s case was adjourned to July 21.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here