On Tuesday, there were 81 Oneida County residents hospitalized due to COVID-19-related illness as well as 209 new positive cases and two virus-related deaths, according to county data. Oneida County reported a 6.6% infection positivity rate.
Of those hospitalized, 54 were unvaccinated and 27 were vaccinated.
Further, there were 57 people hospitalized at Mohawk Valley Health System, 14 at Rome Health and 10 outside the county.
Looking to statewide numbers for Tuesday, there were 40 COVID-19-related deaths across New York and the seven-day average infection positivity rate was measured at 4.75%, according to information from Gov. Kathy Hochul’s office.
Hochul continued the call for vaccination.
"Let us all continue to get vaccinated, get the booster shot, and encourage our family members and fellow New Yorkers to do the same," Hochul said in a statement. "We know the tools to limit the spread and prevent serious illness from the COVID-19 virus, let's use them. The vaccine is safe, effective, and our best hope for moving past this pandemic. We will get through this together."
On Wednesday, U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand announced COVID-19 legislation — the Pandemic Response Centers of Excellence Act — which would deliver funding to establish COVID-19 and Pandemic Response Centers of Excellence programs at academic medical centers across the country.
Among its merits, the legislation would “authorize $500,000,000 total for the program and would provide $10,000,000 to at least ten academic medical centers for real-time response efforts to COVID-19 and for future pandemic preparedness,” notes a statement.
COVID-19 information links
• New York State’s COVID-19 data has been collected in one online spot at: https://on.ny.gov/3rw82oG
• In Oneida County, vaccine appointments and walk-ins are available at county-operated sites. To book an appointment, visit www.ocgov.net.
• Scheduling a vaccine appointment can also be completed at: vaccines.gov.
• COVID-19 case numbers and vaccination rates are available on Oneida County’s online Dashboard at: https://bit.ly/3A85tLp
• To see COVID-19 information for Madison County, visit: https://on.ny.gov/3je8vr0