This week marks the re-establishment of printed community newspapers with the inaugural edition of the Clinton Record, published by the Rome Sentinel Company, previously owner and publisher of the Clinton Courier.
The Clinton Record continues a long tradition of weekly newspapers that extends back to 1846 when Lewis W. Payne first published the Clinton Signal.
According to Richard L. Williams, from the Clinton Historical Society archives, it became the Clinton Courier in 1857, changing owners more than a dozen times until purchased by Hamilton College graduates John W. and William Boynton in 1955.
Finding it difficult to continue publication in 1972, Jack Boynton sold the Clinton Courier to the Rome Sentinel Company. Boynton continued as editor until his death. Sentinel editorial page editor Dave Dudajek took over duties until 1978 when the owners of the Canastota Bee and Journal purchased it. Gary and Marjorie Meyer took over in 1982 but looked to sell it after 1986.
Reuters senior executive Chuck Kershner and his wife Cynthia took over the Courier in 1992 and ran it as a family operation for 21 years until Chuck died in 2013. Cynthia sold the newspaper to John and Emily Howard in 2013. They stopped the print edition two years later.
A newspaper serves a community differently than schools, banks, medical services, and retailers. A newspaper mirrors community back on itself so people more easily see how others are engaged.
People hire a newspaper because too much happens around town for them to attend everything. We look forward to stewarding the community’s long tradition in print.