Return home

Charges dropped in Deerfield shooting

Sean I. Mills
Staff writer
emailtwitter
Posted 8/6/19

TOWN OF DEERFIELD — Criminal charges have been dropped against the 64-year-old man who shot and killed two burglars inside his home in May. Ronald A. Stolarczyk, of Walker Road, appeared in …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Charges dropped in Deerfield shooting

Posted

TOWN OF DEERFIELD — Criminal charges have been dropped against the 64-year-old man who shot and killed two burglars inside his home in May.

Ronald A. Stolarczyk, of Walker Road, appeared in Deerfield Town Court Monday evening and Judge Thomas Larkin dismissed the charge of criminal possession of a weapon, authorities said. Stolarczyk has been free on bail since shortly after the shooting.

Stolarczyk was never charged with the deaths of Nicholas Talerico, age 27, and his aunt, Patricia Talerico, age 57, both of Utica, because the shootings were justified, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Authorities said the Talericos attempted to break into Stolarczyk’s home in the afternoon of May 28. Authorities said Stolarczyk shot and killed the Talericos — nephew and aunt — with a handgun after telling them to leave. State law allows for the use of deadly physical force against burglars in your own home.

Authorities said evidence was recovered that Nicholas Talerico had broken into the same residence once before. Authorities said the aunt and nephew entered through the garage and then attempted to get into the residence when confronted by Stolarczyk. The pair were dropped off at the residence by a third party, who was later interviewed by prosecutors.

State police said Patricia died inside the residence, while Nicholas was able to escape after being shot. Nicholas was taken to a local hospital by a private vehicle, where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Stolarczyk was charged with criminal possession of a weapon because the handgun was not registered, authorities said. Stolarczyk had inherited the weapon from his late father and never knew it needed to be registered, authorities stated. The District Attorney’s Office decided to drop that charge on Monday.

Officials said Stolarczyk will not return to his residence because the home was condemned shortly after the incident. He had been living at the home without electricity or running water, authorities said. Other living arrangements have since been secured for Stolarczyk.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment