The charge of criminally negligent homicide has been dropped against Roman Derek S. Dyer, one half of the couple charged in the death of their infant daughter.
Dyer, 26, was due to stand trial at the end of October with his girlfriend, Brooke Renzi, in the death of their 6-month-old daughter in August 2018. Instead, Judge Robert L. Bauer has dropped the charges against Dyer this week after ruling on defense motions.
"He indicated that the presentation before the grand jury was insufficient," said Dyer's defense attorney, First Assistant District Attorney Cory A. Zennamo, today.
"My client in this instance wasn't negligent. He was blameless," Zennamo stated.
Police said Dyer and Renzi put their 6-month-old daughter to bed on the night of Aug. 27, 2018 and then did not check on the girl until 11 a.m. the next day. Authorities said the child died during the night.
According to Zennamo, Dyer was not involved in putting the child to bed and had no connection to the child's sleeping arrangements or environment. Zennamo said Dyer's actions did not rise to the level of "gross deviation of care", as required by state law.
Zennamo previously filed a motion to have Judge Bauer review the grand jury minutes and re-examine the evidence presented against Dyer. Zennamo said today that Bauer agreed with the motions that there was not enough evidence to maintain the charge against Dyer, and issued his decision to drop the charges earlier this week.
Renzi is still charged with criminally negligent homicide. Her jury trial is scheduled for Oct. 28.