Bongo here! Hello everyone!
Let me introduce myself — I’m a four year old male Retriever/Lab Mix canine who was brought into the shelter as a stray in mid-July. What can I tell you about me? I am a pretty much a quiet boy. I get along with other dogs, but I am somewhat unsure about those 4-legged fuzzy things with whiskers that are known as cats.
I really don’t care to be left alone too much, but I am happy when I have a canine friend to hang out with. The shelter staff says that I would definitely be a good companion for another dog. And that’s the scoop on me!
Thank you for your time and consideration. I will be looking forward to some special visitors who want to meet and greet me.
Waiting excitedly! Love, Bongo
What a great photo! You look like a fantasic guy, very friendly! We certainly have had a lot of adoptions here at our shelter, but readers, there are so many more animals here that are waiting for you to bring them home — all ages, all sizes, all personality types.
Let the shelter staff find a perfect match for you — stop down for a ‘look see’ and find your heart beast today.
Thank you and good luck, Bongo!
The following cats have been adopted: Thaddeus, Suki, Gwen, Snap, Elvis and Tuck. Dogs: Cash, Dixie, Maxx, Jax, Dozer and Rose (together) have also been adopted.
The Rome Humane Society Shelter is in need of Dawn dish detergent (blue); bleach; clumping kitty litter and paper towels. Thank you!
- Medium covered litter boxes
- Small litter boxes – kitten size
- Small plush cat beds – kitten size
- Covered Cat Beds – all sizes
- Friskies or 9 Lives pate canned food
- Ceramic crocks for food/water – small and large
- Clumping litter (never can have too much)
- Toys (especially small soft toys and small mice)
- Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs
- Grain Free treats
- Raw Hide treats – all sizes
- Soft Treats – such as Bacon Strips or Pupperoni.
- New Poop Scoopers (preferably poop scoop with blade)
General Shelter Supplies
- Garbage bags* – 13 gallon tall kitchen drawstring bags
- Garbage bags* – 39 gallon lawn/leaf drawstring bags
- Bleach (non-foaming kind) never can have too much
- Legal, letter, and small notepads
- Legal size and Regular No. 10 envelopes
- Telephone message pads – 2 part carbonless
- Blank address labels – 1x 2.5 and 2 x 4
- Manila 3 tab folders – letter size
- 25 Gallon Plastic tubs with lids
- Copy Paper
- Paper Towels (running low)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Grass Seed for outside Dog Kennels or Sod for outside Dog kennels
- Gift Cards to purchase Paint and Paint Supplies
- Rolls of Window Screening Material
- New Air Conditioners for Cat Rooms (5,000 or 10,000 BTU)
- Gift Certificates or Gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
Want to support the shelter but do not have much free time or extra money? How about donating your bottles and cans?
Drop them off at Green World Bottle and Can Return Center, 1318 Erie Blvd. W, Rome, and ask to have the donation added to the Humane Society of Rome account.
This is an easy way to help the animals. If you can’t make it to the recycle center, you can drop them off at the shelter.
Purina Points Weight Circles
Help the Humane Society of Rome earn points when you purchase Purina brand products, and collect weight circles.
Simply cut and save the circles from participating Purina brand dog foods you have purchased and bring to the shelter. We save the weight circles and submit in bulk. Purina will send the Humane Society a check good towards future purchase of dog food. This saves the shelter the large amount on food.
The Humane Society of Rome animal shelter, 6247 Lamphear Road, is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
The shelter is also open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For qustions or for additional information about the shelter or the Humane Society of Rome, call 315-336-7070 or go online and visit its website at www.humanesocietyrome.com.