My name is Koda, and I am a 12-year-old brown-and-black tiger neutered male cat.
I am a very sweet, lovable older gentleman with a heart of pure gold. I love being around people and getting attention. I’ve been living here at the Rome Humane Society Shelter since early October and my adoption fee has been reduced.
The fee also includes my shots and a microchip. I can’t wait to spend my golden years with my forever family. By the way, I was brought into the shelter as an ‘owner surrender’ due to the failing health of my owner. Winston, please help me, I know I have many good years left!
Best holiday wishes, Koda
I’m so glad you are in the spotlight once again — you deserve another chance at a happy life. There’s absolutely no reason for you not to.
It’s important for my readers to understand what ‘owner surrender’ truly means. People do the very best they can to provide for their families and pets, and unfortunately, sometimes when they cannot, they have to give up that pet. It could be because of ill health, a change in relationship or living circumstances (or financial hardship) and a wide variety of reasons.
The shelter wants everyone to know that we do not judge. If you must give up a beloved pet for any reason please bring them to us. Don’t put them out in the cold to suffer. When you bring them to the warmth and safety of the shelter, the only thing we ask is that you provide us with as much information as possible about the animal and their former living conditions. Information about their health history is necessary too.
Again, please bring them to us. We will do our very best to take care of them until they find another home.
Thank you and good luck, Koda.
Your friend, Winston.
Make your donation count twice
The Humane Society of Rome will participate in the “Save a Life” Campaign. This holiday season, you can help save an animal’s life by donating to The Humane Society of Rome and having that gift matched dollar-for-dollar!
The StaffWorks “Save a Life” Campaign will match gifts made between December 1 and December 31 to our Shelter. This campaign is funded through the Staffworks Charitable Fund and the Community Foundation which was created by Staffworks founder and owner, Anita Vitullo of out her love for animals.
The following felines have found their forever homes: Maddox, Ryder, Matha and Harvest.
• Thursday, Dec. 7 — Dining for the Dogs at The Outback Steakhouse in New Hartford, 4 to 9:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018 — Rome Polish Home – Chili Cook-Off, 5:30 to 7 p.m. with partial proceeds to benefit the Rome Humane Society Medical Fund.
The Humane Society may have the perfect gifts for those you love who may be hard to buy for — a gorgeous variety of colors and sizes of t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, and more. Perfect for the animal lover and when you buy from us, you also help our cats and dogs.
AmazonSmile makes us smile!
AmazonSmile is a simple, automatic way for you to support the Humane Society of Rome!
Every time you shop with Amazon, they donate a portion of the purchase price to our charitable organization.
This is what you do --- before you begin to shop:
1. Go to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com)
2. Sign into your Amazon Account
3. Click on Accounts and Lists
4. Click on Your Account
5. Scroll down to Settings
6. Click on Change Your Charity
7. Start typing in “Humane Society of Rome” and Search
8. Make sure you choose the correct Humane Society and select!
9. You can then go shopping!
10. Thank you!
Members are often the lifeblood of any non-profit organization. Having a good group of dedicated members and volunteers are essential for the Rome Humane Society and the animals we take care of.
Are you a member of the Humane Society of Rome? Please log onto our website www.humanesocietyrome.com and click on the “How can I help” link and look for “Membership.”
The shelter is in desperate need of a donation of a new snowblower. Please help us, winter is unfortunately here!
Wish List - Items currently needed:
Caring for our animals requires a lot of time, love, money, and supplies.
Donating wish list items helps us with the day-to-day care of our animals and supports our operational needs. Items can be dropped off during the HSR Hours of Operation.
Remember, even used items can help our animals. We only ask that they are in good condition. If you have a question about a wish list item, please contact the shelter directly. Remember all donations are tax deductible!
- Medium and large size kitten hammocks (they are found in pet stores in
- the ferret section)
- Medium covered litter boxes
- Small litter boxes – kitten size
- Small plush cat beds – kitten size
- Friskies or 9 Lives pate canned food
- Ceramic crocks for food and water – small and large
- Scoopable litter*
- Toys (especially toys that make noise and small mice)
- Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs
- Toys – variety
- Grain Free treats
- Raw Hide treats – all sizes
- Soft Treats – such as Bacon Strips, Pupperoni, etc.
General Shelter Supplies
- Garbage bags* – 13 gallon tall kitchen DRAWSTRING bags
- Garbage bags* – 39 gallon lawn/leaf DRAWSTRING bags
- Legal, letter, and small notepads
- Telephone message pads – 2 part carbonless
- Blank address labels – 1″ X 2 5/8″ and 2″ X 4″
- Manila 3 tab folders – letter size
- 25 Gallon Plastic tubs with lids
- Funding needed for a heavy duty snow blower
- New Dehumidifiers – for cat room
- Dog friendly Ice Melt
Gift Certificates or Gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
*We can never have enough of these items.
The Humane Society of Rome animal shelter is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
The shelter is also open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, contact the Humane Society of Rome by calling 315-336-7070 or stop by the shelter, 6247 Lamphear Road.