CITY OF LITTLE FALLS — An unexpected natural gas leak has been blamed for the explosion in Herkimer County on Wednesday that leveled two homes and severely damaged a third.
“It was ruled as accidental, a natural gas leak,” explained Little Falls Police Chief Michael Masi this morning.
The chief said the fire is still being investigated to determine the original of the gas leak and whether it was inside or outside the residence. The explosion occurred in the 300 block of W. Main St. at about 2 p.m. Wednesday. Two houses were destroyed and a third was heavily damaged.
No one was home at the residence where the explosion occurred.
Officials said three people were injured. Two of those people were in one of the neighboring residences, and one of those people was hospitalized with minor burns. The third injured person was walking by the residence when the explosion occurred. The chief said that person suffered smoke inhalation, which triggered an unrelated medical issue, so they were hospitalized.
A total of seven families were displaced from their homes following the explosion and fire. Those families are being assisted by the American Red Cross.