Jervis House tours start June 16

Posted

Jervis Pubic Library will resume tours of the historic Jervis residence beginning on Saturday, June 16, at 2:30 p.m. Subsequent tours will be held on Thursdays June 21, July 19, and Aug. 23, at 2:30 p.m. A special evening tour will take place on July 31 at 6 p.m. Tours begin at the information desk and last about an hour. The tours are open to the general public, and no registration is necessary.

John Bloomfield Jervis (1795-1885) was born in Huntington, New York and moved to Rome (then called Fort Stanwix) with his family at 3 years old. he began his career in civil engineering as an axe-and-rodman on the Erie Canal, which began construction in 1817. Apprenticed under Benjamin Wright, Jervis would become eventually superintendent of the eastern section of the Erie Canal.

Jervis personally designed his North Washington Street home in the Greek revival style, and bequeathed the property to the city of Rome on his death for use as a public library. For more information visit jervislibrary.org or call 315-336-4570.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment