My name is Apache. I am a 3-year-old terrier, American pit bull mix canine who has been residing at the Humane Society shelter since the beginning of May. My personality, you ask? Well… I am a sweet dog, and I love attention, hugs and will cover someone in kisses.
I am a little bit ‘human selective’ but would do very well with kids.
The shelter staff says that I have a heart of gold and that’s nice to hear. I am very good on a leash. I get along well with other dogs, but I’m not quite sure about cats.
Please, Winston have someone come and meet me (outside, my favorite place) and I will show them my true colors! Thank you so much!
Wishing and waiting, Apache
Thank you for writing. Let’s hope that when the public sees your handsome face in my column, the phone will be ringing and people will rush down to meet you. Isn’t that what all of our shelter animals dream about?
Readers, we have so many wonderful, loving cats and dogs at the shelter. Many have been there for quite some time.
If you are thinking about adopting, please visit the shelter animals. It only takes one look into that special animal’s eyes and you will know for certain that he or she is the one!
Thank you! Winston
Friday, Aug. 10 — Marco’s Pizza, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Order pizza from them and they will donate 20 percent of your tab to our shelter.
The following cats have been adopted: Luca, Armondo, Malon, Emilia and Leonardo. The canines Dixie, and Fritz have also been adopted.
The shelter is in need of the folllowing:
- Dog food of any kind;
- Purina kitten chow;
- Paper towels and bleach.
- Medium covered litter boxes
- Small litter boxes – kitten size
- Small plush cat beds – kitten size
- Covered Cat Beds – all sizes
- Friskies or 9 Lives pate canned food
- Ceramic crocks for food/water – small and large
- Clumping litter (never can have too much)
- Toys (especially small soft toys and small mice)
- Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs
- Grain Free treats
- Raw Hide treats – all sizes
- Soft Treats – such as Bacon Strips or Pupperoni.
- New Poop Scoopers (preferably poop scoop with blade)
General Shelter Supplies
- Garbage bags* – 13 gallon tall kitchen drawstring bags
- Garbage bags* – 39 gallon lawn/leaf drawstring bags
- Bleach (non-foaming kind) never can have too much
- Legal, letter, and small notepads
- Legal size and Regular No. 10 envelopes
- Telephone message pads – 2 part carbonless
- Blank address labels – 1x 2.5 and 2 x 4
- Manila 3 tab folders – letter size
- 25 Gallon Plastic tubs with lids
- Copy Paper
- Paper Towels (running low)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Grass Seed for outside Dog Kennels or Sod for outside Dog kennels
- Gift Cards to purchase Paint and Paint Supplies
- Rolls of Window Screening Material
- New Air Conditioners for Cat Rooms (5,000 or 10,000 BTU)
- Gift Certificates or Gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
Want to support the shelter but do not have much free time or extra money? How about donating your bottles and cans? Drop them off at Green World Bottle and Can Return Center, 1318 Erie Blvd. W, Rome, and ask to have the donation added to the Humane Society of Rome account. This is an easy way to help the animals. If you can’t make it to the recycle center, you can drop them off at the shelter.
Purina Points Weight Circles
Help the Humane Society of Rome earn points when you purchase Purina brand products, and collect weight circles. Simply cut and save the circles from participating Purina brand dog foods you have purchased and bring to the shelter. We save the weight circles and submit in bulk. Purina will send the Humane Society a check good towards future purchase of dog food. This saves the shelter the large amount on food.
The Humane Society of Rome animal shelter, 6247 Lamphear Road, is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
The shelter is also open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For qustions or for additional information about the shelter or the Humane Society of Rome, call 315-336-7070 or go online and visit its website at www.humanesocietyrome.com.