Wrestlers looking to pin down Section III crowns
SYRACUSE — The Section III wrestling championships will be held on Saturday inside of SRC Arena at Onondaga Community College.
Wrestling beings at 10 a.m. with the preliminary rounds.
Wrestlers have been spilt into two divisions, with the large schools being Division I and the small schools being in Division II.
Here’s a look at area teams:
• Rome Free Academy will be wrestling in Division I and will send 10 wrestlers. Wrestling at 99 pounds and having earned the No. 3 seed is eighth-grader Ashton Thompson. Thompson holds a record of 22-7 this season. Wrestling at 106 for the Black Knights will be freshman Justin Wright. Wright is the No. 6 seed and holds a record of 18-12.
Junior Garrett Craft, who holds a 14-14 record this season, will be wrestling as the No. 8 seed at 126 pounds for RFA and classmate James Faso will be wrestling at 132 as the No. 6 seed. Faso holds a 16-10 record this season for the Black Knights. Freshman Wally Wright Jr. is the No. 7 seed at 138 pounds and holds a record of 20-10 this season.
At 145, senior Josh Hedrington holds the No. 4 seed and a record of 21-4 on the year. RFA’s Stephen Hildenbrant holds the top seed for 152 pounds and a record of 24-5 on the year. At 160, senior Marc Darcangelo is the No. 4 seed and has a 29-4 record for RFA.
Freshman Jonathan Walston holds down the No. 8 seed at 182 and holds a record of 17-10. Senior Spencer Pisaneschi is the No. 2 seed at 285 with an undefeated record of 29-0.
• Class C champion Holland Patent will be sending 10 athletes to compete at the Section III Division II tournament.
At 99 pounds, freshman Casey Caruso is a Class C second alternate with a record of 20-18. At 145, senior TJ Philpotts holds the No. 2 seed and has a 40-4 record for the Golden Knights and at 152 pounds, senior Adam Crossley has the No. 7 seed for HP and holds a record of 27-10.
At 160, junior Nick Herringshaw holds the No. 1 seed for the Golden Knights with a 35-5 record and at 170, senior Garrett Evans is the second alternate for Class C with a 15-10 record. Freshman Bryce Dare is the No. 3 seed at 182 pounds and has a record of 20-5 for the Golden Knights. Junior Hunter Tarbania is the fourth alternate for Class C at 195 with a record of 23-12. Senior Liam Evans is the fifth alternate for Class C also at 195 with a record of 17-9.
Sophomore Joe Gotte is the fourth alternate at 220 pounds and holds a record of 13-11. Austin Bullock is the No. 5 seed for the Golden Knights with a 29-14 record at 285.
• Camden will be sending nine athletes to SRC Arena, staring with the No. 1 overall seed at 99 pounds, senior Devin Coleman. Coleman has a 40-1 record this season. In the 113 weight class, senior Hunter Williams is the No. 4 seed with a 32-11 record. At 132, senior Tybarius Harter is the No. 3 seed with a 37-7 record.
Senior Riley Gerber is the No. 2 seed in the 138 weight class and holds a record of 39-3. Junior Colby Johnson has a record of 37-8 and has the No. 6 seed for the Blue Devils. At 152, junior Josh Mayden has the No. 4 seed with a 35-9 record. Junior Gavin Vera has a record of 36-10 which has earned him the No. 6 seed. At 170 pounds, Camden senior Michael Bristol has a 33-10 record and has earned the No. 4 seed.
Junior John Mitchell has the No. 6 seed for Camden at 182 with a record of 30-13.
• Adirondack is also sending nine grapplers to SRC Arena. sophomore Bryar Croniser has earned the No. 5 seed in 106 weight division with a record of 24-11. Senior Brett Gaylord has also earned the No. 5 seed in the 113 division with a record of 33-5 for the Wildcats. At 120, junior Chris Webster has earned the No. 6 seed for Adirondack with a record of 27-11.
Senior Kevin Spann has earned the No. 1 seed for Adirondack in the 126 weight class. Spann has worked to a 36-1 record this season. At 132, sophomore Keagan Case is the No. 4 seed and has a 37-5 record this season fro the Wildcats. Senior Brendan Miller is the third alternate for Class C at 145 pounds and has a record of 28-14. Junior Matt Tanner is the first alternate for 152 pounds for Adirondack and has a record of 31-15.
Senior Ben Gerling has earned the No. 5 seed for the Wildcats working his way to a 35-9 record this season. Rounding out the qualifiers for the Wildcats is senior Nick Capron who has a 16-21 record.
• Vernon-Verona-Sherrill will have eight athletes represent the school. Freshman Alex Hyman holds a 4-15 record and is the sixth alternate for Class B at 113 pounds. Freshman Kyle Burback has earned the No. 8 seed for the Red Devils in the 120 pound weight class. At 126, senior Damien Muessig will be the No. 8 seed with a record of 32-10.
Senior Ian O’Neill has earned the No. 3 seed for VVS in the 138 pound division with a record of 32-9 and O’ Neill’s classmate, Parker Talbot has earned the No. 5 seed at 145 for the Red Devils with a record of 34-9. Junior Travis Decker is the second alternate for Class B in the 152 pound class with a record of 20-13. At 160, senior Jeremiah Brunje holds a 29-12 record which has earned him the No. 5 seed. Junior Trai Collins wraps up the athletes for the Red Devils by being the second Class B alternate at 220 pounds. Collins holds a record of 18-11.
• Senior Dustin Coleman will be the lone Oneida wrestler competing. Coleman will be wrestling as the No. 7 seed in the 99 pound weight class and has a record of 15-5.