Organizations help battle cancer
A number of organizations share the goal of raising money to fund cancer research and help individuals battling cancer to get the care they need. Breast cancer has captured the hearts of many across the globe, annually inspiring various companies and organizations to fund research opportunities.
Every year consumers can purchase pink merchandise, and a portion of those sales is donated to breast cancer initiatives. Makeup, food and clothing manufacturers are not the only people who are raising donations; there are several different breast cancer organizations doing their part, too.
• Susan G. Komen for the Cure: Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. That concern for others continued even as Susan neared the end of her fight.
In 1982, her sister Nancy organized a movement to further Susan’s efforts.Since its inception, the organization has invested more than $1.9 billion in breast cancer research and, in efforts to raise breast cancer awareness, has become the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.
• National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.: The National Breast Cancer Foundation’s mission is to save lives through early detection and to provide mammograms for those in need. Their mission includes increasing awareness through education, providing diagnostic breast care services for those in need and providing nurturing support services.
• Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation: Since 1986, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation has been at the forefront of a nationwide movement to raise awareness and mobilize action on breast cancer. Today, the foundation is the leading organization in Canada dedicated to creating a future without breast cancer.
• BreastCancer.org: Breastcancer.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing the most reliable, complete, and up-to-date information about breast cancer.Their mission is to help women and their loved ones make sense of the complex medical and personal information about breast cancer, so they can make the best decisions for their lives.
• Breast Cancer Society of Canada: For 20 years, the Breast Cancer Society of Canada has been a registered, national,
not-for-profit, charitable organization dedicated to funding Canadian breast cancer research into the detection, prevention and treatment of breast cancer and to ultimately find a cure for the disease. It was begun by the husband and parents of Pamela Greenaway-Kohlmeier after she lost her battle with breast cancer in 1992.