Van Deusen named Westmoreland Kiwanis Club’s Student of the Month
Rachel Van Deusen is the October recipient of the Westmoreland Kiwanis Club’s student of the month award.
Van Deusen has participated in National Honor Society, Key Club, yearbook, and volleyball, according to an announcement by the Westmoreland Central School District.
In addition to those clubs and activities, the Westmoreland High School student is also a valuable employee of the school bookstore as well as the student-run branch of the Rome Teachers’ Federal Credit Union, the district added.
In terms of leadership, Van Deusen is also currently the secretary of Key Club, officials added.
In the community, Van Deusen has volunteered her time assisting the Westmoreland Kiwanis with its annual pancake breakfasts and children’s Christmas parties. She also helps out with the senior citizen prom and the PTO Trick or Treat Night every year, the district announcement added.
Van Deusen also helps the elementary students with crafts and games, and she has given up countless lunch periods to sell Yuda bands, which help to raise money for underprivileged third world children to have an education.
Van Deusen’s future plans include attending a four-year school, majoring in nursing.
She is the daughter of Sandy and Rob VanDeusen of
- 6:00am 09/21/18Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
- 9:00am 09/16/18Rome author stirs the senses with dishes from around the world
- 9:00am 09/16/18‘Peppermint’ fails to pack a memorable punch
- 9:00am 09/16/18Hummingbirds are fun to watch and important pollinators
- 9:00am 09/16/18Check out the latest — books and more — at Jervis