Sweet times at VVS Maple Weekend for visitors, FFA club
VERONA — The Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Future Farners of America’s Maple Weekend is in full swing this weekend. The event, held Saturday and Sunday, March 18-19, at Vernon-Verona High School, 5275 State Route 31, begins with a pancake breakfast — featuring student made maple syrup — at 7:30 a.m. each day.
Admission price is $8 for adults and $6 for seniors and children 12 years and under.
Maple Weekend is “a statewide event devoted to the recognition of the New York State Maple Industry,” according to an announcement from the VVS FFA, which encourages people to “come discover...the pure taste of maple.”
Students will give tours of the FFA’s maple house and syrup production facilities from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and there will be free wagon rides to the maple sugarbush, where students tap maple trees for the sap that is eventually boiled down into the sweet syrup.
At 10 a.m. the Maple Queen and Maple Princess will make presentations on cooking with maple syrup.
The festivities will also continue next weekend, March 25-26, which will also feature a pancake breakfast, tours, wagon rides and cooking presentations.
Also on Sunday, March 26, the official New York Maple Sunday Syrup season begins, and at 11:15 a.m. the winners of the maple coloring contest award will be announced.
For information, go online to www.vvsschools.org.
- 9:00am 09/17/17Liberty Resources to host career fair Thursday in Canastota
- 9:00am 09/17/17Benefit to aid ailing siblings
- 9:00am 09/17/17Paddle the Nine-Mile Swamp with Friends of Rogers
- 9:00am 09/17/17Area educators optimistic about state’s tweaks to Common Core learning standards
- 9:00am 09/17/17Heirloom, hybrids each offer advantages, disadvantages