Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
1. Stanwix Heights Volunteer Fire Department, 6580 Bartlett Road, will host a ham dinner from 11:30 a.m. until sold out Sunday.
Cost is $12 for adults; $6 for children ages 5-12; and children under age 5 eat free. Take-outs will be available and the station is handicap accessible. On the menu will be ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, coleslaw, apple sauce, rolls and butter, dessert and a beverage.
2. St. Leo & St. Ann’s Catholic Church, 7937 Elm St., will hold its annual Roast Beef Harvest Dinner on Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Roast Beef with all the trimmings, mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, coleslaw, homemade applesauce, homemade desserts and breads will be served. Cost is $10, $4 for children, and free for children under age 5. Take-outs will be available.
The dinner will be held in the downstairs parish hall, which is handicap accessible. For more information, call the church at 315-865-5371.
3. St. Margaret’s House and Ecumenical Center in New Hartford will host “A Taste of Heaven,” a community praise and worship event, on Monday at 6:30 p.m. This service is open to the public.
Revs. Humberto DeLeon and George Griffith of Highways and Byways Ministry will lead the congregation.
For more information, call 315-724-2324.
4. The Men’s Breakfast Buddies Club at Ava Dorfman Senior Center, 305 E. Locust St., will host its next meeting from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Jeremy Earl from The Root Farm will be guest speaker. The Root Farm offers a unique combination of agriculture, equine and recreation programs for all abilities. Payment is due by, Oct. 8 Cost is $4, $3 members. Scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon, coffee and juice will be served.
To make a reservation call the center at 315-337-8230.
5. The Friends of the Presbyterian Home will host its 15th annual food tasting fundraiser, Not Just Desserts from 6-8 p.m. Thursday at Hart’s Hill Inn, 135 Clinton St.
Tickets for the event are $25 and include champagne, wine tasting, flavored coffees, gourmet cheese, chocolate truffles, cupcakes, meatballs, greens, Chicken Rggies, tomato pie, baklava, fresh fruit and more. The evening will also feature entertainment by Scot Raymond, and basket and 50/50 raffles.
6. The Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute in Utica will host former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck for a presentation, followed by a screening of the documentary film based on her life, on Friday.
The presentation will begin at 6 p.m. following a reception, and the film will start at 7:30. Tickets are $5, and food and beverages will be available.
7. Star gazing at the New Hartford Sherrill Brook Park, Route 12, will be 7:30-11 p.m. Saturday.
Telescopes will be set up on the basketball court to observe the fall sky, Saturn and Mars, according to the announcement by event organizers.
Additional information about the Mohawk Valley Astronomical Society, including meetings and other events can be found on its website at http://mvas-ny.org.