Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
1. The Rome Capitol Theatre will hold auditions for its 2018 SummerStage season at 4 p.m. Sunday. SummerStage will present “Mary Poppins” July 12-14 and “Young Frankenstein” Aug. 2-4. Auditions for both shows will take place May 20. The location will be at the Capitol rehearsal space behind the theater on West Dominick Street. Those auditioning will be asked to sing a given selection from the show or shows for which they are trying out.
2. The Chesapeake Chamber Group Woodwind Trio will perform at 4 p.m. Sunday at the Remsen Performing and Visual Arts Center, 9627 Main St. Admission is $10, $8 for members and $5 for students. The group consists of Matthew White on clarinet, Craig Vandewater on bassoon and Darlene Vandewater on oboe.
3. Those interested in tracing their family tree using online resources can attend Jervis Public Library’s Online Genealogy Drop-In Help session at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in the library’s accessible fourth floor auditorium, 613 N. Washington St. Participants will have the opportunity to use the library’s laptops to search Ancestry Library Edition, Heritage Quest, Familysearch, and Digital Reel’s Rome Sentinel archive and get one-on-one assistance from a librarian. No registration is needed for the free program.
4. Ava Dorfman Senior Center, 305 E. Locust St., will host Party on the Patio with music and games from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday. Attendees may receive their first two drinks for a $5 donation. There will be free appetizers of chips and dip, and cheese and crackers. Music will be provided by DJ Frank Belmont. There will also be a cornhole game, KanJam and ring toss. Cost of games are $1 each. At the end of the evening, there will be a 50/50 raffle based on the total amount of money spent on games. Call the center at 315-337-8230 to reserve a spot.
5. Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS) will host a Women’s Health Open House on Wednesday to celebrate women in the area. The open house will be held at the Faxton Campus in the Cancer Center lobby from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Faxton Campus, 807 Newell St., Utica.
6. Rome Art & Community Center, 308 W. Bloomfield St., will host the final concert of the 2018 jazz series on Friday at 7 p.m. The final performer is singer Ronnie Leigh, an Albany native and five-time SAMMY (Syracuse Area Music Award) winner. The concert will take place in the ArtHouse Cafe. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $25, $20 for members, $16 seniors, $14 senior members. Call 315-336-1040 for tickets or more information.
7. A free lunch and fellowship are offered Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday’s Bounty is in the First United Methodist Church, 400 N. George St. Menu includes French toast, sausage and applesauce. All are welcome and church officials suggest you “bring a friend.” For more information call 315-336-1740.
- 9:00am 06/24/18Tri-Willow murders left children, community in grief, fear
- 9:00am 06/24/18Local vet recalls D-Day Invasion; love back home
- 9:00am 06/24/18Check out the latest at Jervis Library
- 9:00am 06/24/18Springtime pruning is important for plant growth
- 9:00am 06/24/18Trace has been waiting for a long, long time for new home