Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
1. The Taberg Trail Blazers Snowmobile Club will host a chicken barbecue from noon until gone on Sunday at Lee American Legion. Cost is $10 per dinner. Eat in or take out. The menu will include chicken, potatoes, cole slaw, beans and roll.
2. Nathan Lee, winner of the 2016 Young Concert Artist International Audition at age 15, will perform a piano recital at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday in the Colgate Memorial Chapel. He will perform works of Beethoven, Kapustin, Chopin and Grunfeld. This concert is free and all are welcome. For more information, or a complete concert calendar, call Lorraine Joseph, concert manager in the Department of Music at Colgate University at 315-228-7642.
3. The Capitol Theatre, 220 W. Dominick St., will host its annual Cartoon Madness show during school break week, Monday through Saturday. The program will run at 3 p.m. daily, with shows at both 3 and 7 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 24. As in past years, there will be 12 color cartoons on the bill, all from the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies series. The theme for this year’s show is “Bugs: The Beginning and Beyond,” and will highlight Bugs Buggy’s evolution from “Happy Rabbit” from the late 1930s to the definitive Bugs from the 1940s and 1950s. There will be additional cartoons with favorite WB cartoon characters such as Daffy Duck, The Roadrunner, Porky Pig, and others. Tickets are $4 and $3 for children 12 and under, and are available at the door, in advance from the Capitol box office (10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays), and online at www.romecapitol.com.
4. Mohawk Valley Community College will host an information session for prospective student-athletes at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday in room 202 of the Robert R. Jorgensen Athletic/Event Center on the College’s Utica Campus for those who are interested in earning an associate degree or certificate and becoming a part of the MVCC Hawks family. The session includes information on the admissions process, financial aid options, athletics, a campus tour, and lunch.
5. Craobh Dugan, the local branch of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann, will hold a traditional Irish music session at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, in Stockdale’s, 103 River St. The event is held on the third Tuesday of each month. The session is free and open to all musicians who play acoustic traditional instrument such as fiddle, guitar, pennywhistle, accordion, mandolin, and tenor banjo.
6. The Utica Comets are home American Hockey League foes: the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Wednesday and the Laval Rocket on Friday. Puck drop for both games is at 7 p.m. at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. Fans are encouraged to utilize the ticket exchange website, StubHub!.
7. This winter recess the City of Rome is offering Snowfest, a free family event, 2-4 p.m. on Friday on the Griffo Green at City Hall, 198 N. Washington St. Participants are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing to stay warm.
- 6:00am 03/16/18Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
- 9:00am 03/11/18Irish eyes smiling as events gear up
- 9:00am 03/11/18Plenty to consider as you plan your new vegetable garden
- 9:00am 03/11/18Sangertown Square to host annual Baby Fest