Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
1. Stanwix Heights Volunteer Fire Department, 6580 Bartlett Road, will host a roast beef dinner on Sunday starting at 11:30 a.m. The cost is $12, $6 for children ages 5-12, under 5 eat free. The menu includes roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots, cole slaw, apple sauce, roll, beverages, and dessert. Take outs are available. For more information call 315-337-7310.
2. Men’s Breakfast Buddies at Ava Dorfman Senior Center, 305 E. Locust St., will be held at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Guest speaker will be Edie Pendorf from the Rome Historical Society. Those interested should register before Monday. Cost is $4, $3 members. There is an additional cost of $1 for those who register after Monday. Scrambled eggs, bacon, homefries, coffee and juice will be served. Call the center to register at 315-337-8230 or stop by the main office.
3. The Winter Scenes Art Exhibit will be on display at the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., from Wednesday through March 10 during library hours. The exhibit opening reception will be held from 4-6 p.m. Friday. Attendees will meet the artists and have an opportunity to view their work. Light refreshments will be served. Acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone. The open exhibit will feature work with varied art mediums from area artists. Some of the artists whose work will be exhibited include: Karen Beck, Diane Bowes, Donna Colebeck, Brita Down, Paula Ford, Kurt Gardner, Sue Kiesel, Vonnie Kinney, Gary Lee, Keith Leonard, Ron Rakowski, Constance Watkins, and Albert Worthen.
4. St. John Lutheran Church, 502 W. Chestnut St., will host a free Movie Night at 7 p.m. Friday. Free refreshments will be served.
5. Ava Dorfman Senior Center, 305 E. Locust St., will host the Dinner and a Comedy Show event from 5-9 p.m. Friday. A cash bar will be from 5-6 p.m., followed by dinner of chicken and biscuits plus dessert from 6-7 p.m. and the CNY Stand-up Comedy Show from 7-9 p.m. Cost is $45, $35 for members. Anyone over the age of 21 may attend. For more information or to register, call the center at 315-337-8230.
6. The Utica Comets are home for American Hockey League rival the Syracuse Crunch on Friday night at 7 at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. Fans are encouraged to utilize the ticket exchange website, StubHub!.
7. The Palace Underground, the birthplace of Hamilton College’s popular Jazz at Noon series, will continue its music series with a concert noon to 2 p.m. Saturday. Suggested donation to attend is $5This month, trumpeter/host, Jim McDowell will welcome a Jazz at Noon favorite, bassist Rich Mollin, along with saxophonist Joe Carello. They will be joined by guitarist Ken McGloin of Rosedale. Dianne Adams McDowell will pop up for some tunes, and the audience will be serenaded by young crooner Kehela Reeves Chartwells will create a savory lunch and dessert available for purchase. For information, visit artsatthepalace.org or call 315-824-1420.
- 6:00am 07/20/18Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
- 9:00am 07/15/18Sign pays tribute to local namesake
- 9:00am 07/15/18Working hard in the summertime
- 9:00am 07/15/18‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ is fun, family film
- 9:00am 07/15/18Gargamel would be purrfectly content in quiet kind of home