Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
1. The 44th annual World Series of Bocce will conclude on Sunday beginning at 9 a.m. at the Toccolana Club, located at 1412 E. Dominick St. in Rome.
2. The eighth annual drum recital by Corey Colmey Drum Instruction will take place noon-2 p.m. on Sunday at the Beeches, 7900 Turin Road. Admission is free and the event is open to the public. There will be snacks and beverages. It will feature Colmey’s private students performing a mix of pop, rock, blues, country and other styles.
3. Keith Hunt, of Camillus, the 2011 Fiddlers’ Hall of Fame NY State inductee will play a wide mix of traditional familiar and not so familiar fiddle music, Sunday, 2-5 p.m., at the North American Fiddlers’ Hall of Fame, 1121 Comins Road, Osceola. He will be accompanied by his wife, Judy, on concertina and by Camden residents Jessie Gotham on piano, Alan Chrysler on guitar and Bob Abrams on bass. This free concert is funded in part by the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency, with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the NY State Legislature.
4. Craobh Dugan, the local branch of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann, holds a traditional Irish music session on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Stockdale’s, 103 River St. The event is held on the third Tuesday of each month. The Session is free and open to all musicians who play acoustic traditional instrument such as fiddle, guitar, pennywhistle, accordion, mandolin, and tenor banjo. Spectators are encouraged to come to listen and enjoy an evening of traditional music. Irish Sessions have a long tradition in the history of Irish Music. They are usually held in public houses (pubs) and have a format that encourages both listening and playing. The Musicians will play sets of standard Irish tunes in the traditional manner.
5. Fritz’s Polka Band will perform their unique style of polka Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Madison County Historical Society, 435 Main St., as part of the 2017 City of Oneida Concerts in the Park series. Rain date is Monday, July 24. The concert is free.
6. Barneveld locals Rick Boxall and Matt Kochan along with Cathie Timian will be co-hosting the monthly Open Mic session at Unity Hall, 101 Vanderkamp Ave., on the third Thursday of each month beginning at 6:30 p.m. Doors open at 6 this Thursday, July 20, and performers are asked to sign up when they arrive. Each performance is limited to three songs or 12 minutes. Admission is free and refreshments will be available. All are welcome to attend.
7. Delta Omega sorority will hold its 90th anniversary celebration, the Great Gatsby Gala, at 6 p.m. on Friday at the Beeches. Classified will perform. There will be cocktails at 6 and dinner at 7, and period attire is encouraged. All proceeds will go to the Rome Historical Society, The Kelberman Center and Artistree Studios. Tickets are $50, and sponsorships are available. For questions contact Sue Kaeir at 315-337-4765.
- 9:00am 11/19/17Henderberg’s Christmas Tree Farm offering variety of colors
- 9:00am 11/19/17Rome native Holmes living Broadway dream
- 9:00am 11/19/17Rome cheerleaders heading to nationals
- 9:00am 11/19/17RFA’s Griffin shines in pool
- 9:00am 11/19/17Sam B. is a sweet, mellow cat looking for a new home