Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
1. The Utica Children’s Museum presents “We Need A Hero? Con” on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event is a comic and pop culture convention to benefit the Utica Children’s Museum. Special guests include Brian O’Halloran, Scott Schiaffo, Jeff Parazzo, Kevin Duhaney, Taimak, Jayne Heitmeyer, Noelle Hannibal, Nadia Verrucci, Genoveva Rossi, Steve Geiger, Mark McKenna, Sal Otero and more. Tickets are $10 for adults and children under 12 are free.
2. The Colgate University Chorus and Chamber Singers present their spring choral concert under the baton of Dr. R. Ryan Endris, Assistant Professor of Music and Director of Choral and Vocal Activities. The free, public concert is Sunday at 3:30 p.m. in the Colgate Memorial Chapel.
3. The Hamilton College and Community Masterworks Chorale with the Hamilton College Choir and Symphoria will perform Verdi’s Requiem on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Wellin Hall, Schambach Center for Music and the Performing Arts on the campus of Hamilton College. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for senior citizens and students. It is free for Hamilton College students. For more information call the box office at (315) 859-4331 or visit www.hamilton.edu/performingarts.
4. Upstate Cerebral Palsy is hosting a spaghetti dinner fundraiser on Thursday from 4-7 p.m. Tickets are $5 and meals are available for dine-in or take out. The dinner will be located at 1601 Armory Drive, Building B, Utica. The dinner will raise money for tuxedo rentals, flowers and other costs associated with the Tradewinds Prom.
5. Jervis Public Library hosts author and former Rome resident Lorraine M. Duvall, who will present “Waters of the Adirondacks” on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the library’s accessible auditorium. This free program is open to the public. Duvall, who worked at IIT Research Institute in Rome for 15 years, retired to the Adirondacks in 1999. Duvall will have copies of her latest book, “In Praise of Quiet Waters,” for sale. Refreshments will be available.
6. Art Works By Donna Burch is having a Fundraiser For Alzheimer Awareness in Memory of JD Dominic at The Back 9 Restaurant on Turin Road on Thursday at 6 p.m. Jackie Zbiegien is the hostess for the event. It is $45 a person and includes one drink and all art supplies. A portion of the sales are being donated to Alzheimer Awareness. Go to either the Facebook Page for Art Works By Donna Burch and send a message with your contact information or send an email to email@example.com.
7. Relay for Life Team Sandie Miner Miracles will hold a chicken and biscuit dinner from 4:30 p.m. until sold out Friday in the Delta United Methodist Church, 6285 Hawkins Corners Road at Turin Road. Cost is $10 for adults, and $5 for children ages 10 and under. The meal includes chicken and gravy over biscuits, green beans, applesauce, pie with whipped cream and a beverage. All proceeds raised will benefit the American Cancer Society.
- 9:00am 05/21/17Boater safety course offered June 3 at Lock 20 in Marcy
- 9:00am 05/21/17Oneida Castle to honor vets
- 9:00am 05/21/17Bailey's Karate School's Black Belt Spectacular
- 9:00am 05/21/17Memorial Day travel expected to surge
- 9:00am 05/21/17Say hello to Harley, an active dalmation looking for a home