School district sites progress on strategic plan objectives
Progress on strategic plan objectives and a schedule of upcoming student music performances are among topics in the Rome school district’s fall/winter newsletter that was mailed to district homes this week.
Among other items addressed in the 12-page newsletter are the community schools initiative; the expanding mentoring program that uses adult volunteers; the anti-bullying awareness day that was held in October; and information technology advancements.
• The district has been working to enhance its strategic plan objectives for the 2017-18 school year that focus on instruction, engagement, social/emotional, and attendance categories, Superintendent Peter C. Blake said in the newsletter.
The student attendance rate has improved to 95 percent, the highest in Rome in recent years, said Blake, who added there will be a grade K-12 student survey on factors affecting attendance. He also cited reading and writing initiatives at the grade K-6 level; school buildings hosting increased opportunities to connect with the community; and increased partnerships with organizations to provide support for children in need.
• Among school district music department events:
Feb. 9-10 — Strough Middle School musical, Disney’s My Son Pinocchio Jr., at Rome Free Academy, 7 p.m.
March 1 — All-City Choral Festival, at RFA, 7 p.m.
March 7 — All-City Band Festival, at RFA, 7 p.m.
March 14 — RFA Pops Concert, 7 p.m.
April 12-14 — RFA Musical, Aida, 7:30 p.m.
May 9 — Strough spring concert #1 (instrumental), at RFA, 7 p.m.
May 15 — Staley Elementary School spring concert, 6:30 p.m.
May 17 – Ridge Mills and Stokes elementary schools spring concerts, 6:30 p.m.
May 22 — Denti and Gansevoort elementary schools spring concerts, 6:30 p.m.
May 23 — Strough spring concert #2 (choral), at RFA, 7 p.m.
May 30 — Joy Elementary School spring concert, 6:30 p.m.
June 5 — RFA spring concert #1 (instrumental), 7 p.m.
June 6 — Bellamy Elementary School spring concert, 6:30 p.m.
June 7 — RFA spring concert #2 (choral), 7 p.m.
- 9:00am 02/18/18‘Sister Act’ to take stage in Camden
- 9:00am 02/18/18Playful former stray Dozer seeks to play ball with new family
- 9:00am 02/18/18Robotics team overcomes barriers to share love of STEM
- 9:00am 02/18/18Utica restaurant among 100 most romantic restaurants in America
- 9:00am 02/18/18Wonder Woman not afraid to be judged in Philadelphia