Playful Walter still waiting for a new home, family of his own
It’s me again — Walter.
Yes, I am still at the Rome Humane Society shelter,and I am still waiting for a home. The shelter staff encouraged me to write to you once more, even though I was recently spotlighted in your wonderful column. I guess I can consider myself lucky that I was given another chance to have my bark (I mean, my say!) and get the word out that I am still available.
I love to play tug of war and to chase my bouncy ball. I am great on a harness. I bound like a deer when I run around the outside kennels. I will even do a special dance when you visit me inside my pen. I would do well with older children as I am jumpy and energetic. I would do best in a very active home. I can get quite vocal when I am excited! I am dog selective, not especially a cat lover but I do like most humans.
I have been here forever it seems and I think it’s time I find a home. Please, please, please help!
The One and Only Walter
You are indeed very special, being spotlighted twice in only a few months, but I do understand where you are coming from. I wish I could put each and every animal at the shelter in the spotlight every week – they are all such delightful animals and more than deserving of a good home.
Just as I said it before, I will say it again, good luck my friend. I do not want to see you here a third time!
The following felines have gone to their forever homes: Princess, BooBoo, Miley, Kiana, Mayo, Sasha and Mittens (together!) Galen and Gabriella (together!), Doodles and Alfalfa and Darla (together!). Hooray!
Upcoming fundraisers:Dining for the Dogs returns!
Please mark your calendars for Tuesday, Sept. 19, for “Dining for the Dogs” (and Cats!) at Jonny B’s Tavern in Rome, from 4 to 9 p.m.
Come and enjoy a fantastic meal for a good cause, with part of the dining proceeds to benefit the Humane Society Shelter.
AmazonSmile makes us smile!
AmazonSmile is a simple, automatic way for you to support the Humane Society of Rome!
Every time you shop with Amazon, they donate a portion of the purchase price to our charitable organization.
This is what you do — before you begin to shop:
1. Go to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com)
2. Sign into your Amazon Account
3. Click on Accounts and Lists
4. Click on Your Account
5. Scroll down to Settings
6. Click on Change Your Charity
7. Start typing in “Humane Society of Rome” and Search
8. Make sure you choose the correct Humane Society and Select!
9. You can then go shopping!
10. Thank you!
How can I help?
Are you a member of the Humane Society of Rome? Please log onto our website www.humanesocietyrome.com and click on the “How can I help” link and look for “Membership.”
• Fancy Feast pate style cat food
• Medium covered cat litter boxes
• Small plush cat beds
• Scoopable cat litter
• Cat toys (especially cat toys that make noise and small tiny mice)
• Nylabone dog chew bones for all size dogs
• Dog treats – variety
• Grain free dog treats
• Raw hide treats (all sizes)
• General shelter supplies
• Garbage bags 13 gallon tall kitchen drawstring
• Garbage bags 39 gallon lawn/leaf drawstring
• Leaf rakes
• Grass seed
• Pop up or easy tents for outside events to shade our animals
• Two new air conditioners for the cat room and incoming room (5,000 BTU and 8,000 BTU).Please call the shelter for BTU’s and sizes, 315-336-7070.
• Letter size file folders and file storage boxes
• Rubbing alcohol – 70 percent
• Copy paper
• Legal, letter and small notepads
• Post It Notes
• Telephone message pads (2 part carbonless)
• AA, AAA batteries
• Blank labels (1” x 2 5/8”) and (2” x 4”)
• Manilla three tab folders – letter size
• Gift certificates or gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
Do you love animals? Do you have as little as an hour a week to spare, or more? Contact us to learn how you can help all of the animals and to sign up today!
Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact us: 315-336-7070, 6247 Lamphear Road, Rome.
- 9:00am 09/17/17Liberty Resources to host career fair Thursday in Canastota
- 9:00am 09/17/17Benefit to aid ailing siblings
- 9:00am 09/17/17Paddle the Nine-Mile Swamp with Friends of Rogers
- 9:00am 09/17/17Area educators optimistic about state’s tweaks to Common Core learning standards
- 9:00am 09/17/17Heirloom, hybrids each offer advantages, disadvantages