MooMoo wishes for new home, family in the new year
Greetings! I am MooMoo, how are you? Let me tell you and your kind readers about me.
I was brought into the Rome Humane Society shelter as a stray in the middle of December. I am a 3-year-old, large-sized, black-and-white spayed female Pit/Bermese Mountain Dog mix canine. I know a few commands and I get along very well with other dogs. I also adore children.
I would be the perfect pet!
Winston, please ask your readers how can they ignore my wonderful happy face? I look as though I am ready to jump right through the camera lens! It’s a new year, and I want a new life!
I am all packed and ready to go! I can promise my new owner(s) lots of love, devotion, good times and sweet memories.
Thank you so much, Love, MooMoo
Dear Little Miss Moo:
So great to hear from you — yes, you do indeed look like a happy spirit!
I’m so pleased that you are safe and warm at the shelter until you find your forever home. I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it is to be out on the streets especially in this ice-cold weather.
Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long to move out and move on! Good luck to you!
The Rome Humane Society extends a huge thank you to everyone who participated in the “SAVE A LIFE” Matching Donation Campaign! As you know, any donations made during the month of December for our shelter (with your check made payable to The Community Foundation) was matched and your donation, doubled. (funded through the Staffworks Charitable Fund, Anita Vitullo, Staffworks founder and animal advocate.)
Resolutions for 2018
Here are some New Year‟s resolution ideas to help animals in 2018
- If you’re looking to bring a new feline or canine family member into your home, adopt!
- Foster an animal until they are ready to find their new home, all you need to give them is your love and attention
- Volunteer your time at the shelter or special fundraising events
- Donate to help the animals in our care and ensure that we can continue to save lives
- Organize a collection of food, treats and toys to donate to the shelter directly
- Share posts via Facebook and social media to ensure that our adoptable animals are able to reach more people!
Cats: Arta, Sasquatch, Lysette, Jane Eyre, Gem, Selene, Artimus, Juliet, Rosie, Donner, Carlos, Diesel, Mia and Martha. Also the canine Rockie has found a new home!
Jan. 9, 2018 — Chili Cook-Off, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Rome Polish Home, 415 S. George St. — The Empire Plate presents their very first Chili Cook-Off! (partial proceeds to benefit the Rome Humane Society Medical Fund.) $1 for samples; raffles, music and vendors.
Jan. 24, 2018 — Dining for the Dogs (and Cats…and Puppies and Kittens!) – The Vigneto Restaurant, 229 E. Dominick St., 4 to 7 p.m.
Feb. 4, 2018 — Bowling for Bowser at King Pin Lanes, 7157 E. Dominick St., 1 to 4 p.m. Includes two games of bowling, shoe rental and pizza! Only $20 per person or $15 for children under 10 years of age.
Feb. 7, 2018 — Dining for the Dogs, Aquino’s Restaurant, 910 Floyd Ave., 4 to 7 p.m.
March 6, 2018 — Dining for the Dogs, Franklin Hotel, 301 S. James St., 4 to 7 p.m.
The Humane Society may have the perfect gifts for those you love who may be hard to buy for — a gorgeous variety of colors and sizes of t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, and more.
Perfect for the animal lover and when you buy from us, you also help our cats and dogs.
AmazonSmile makes us smile!
AmazonSmile is a simple, automatic way for you to support the Humane Society of Rome!
Every time you shop with Amazon, they donate a portion of the purchase price to our charitable organization.
This is what you do --- before you begin to shop:
1. Go to AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com)
2. Sign into your Amazon Account
3. Click on Accounts and Lists
4. Click on Your Account
5. Scroll down to Settings
6. Click on Change Your Charity
7. Start typing in “Humane Society of Rome” and Search
8. Make sure you choose the correct Humane Society and select!
9. You can then go shopping!
10. Thank you!
Members are often the lifeblood of any non-profit organization.
Having a good group of dedicated members and volunteers is essential for the Rome Humane Society and the animals we take care of.
Are you a member of the Humane Society of Rome? Please log onto our website www.humanesocietyrome.com and click on the “How can I help” link and look for “Membership.”
The shelter is in desperate need of a donation of a new snowblower. Please help us, winter is unfortunately here!
Items currently needed:
Snowblower! Winter is here!
Caring for our animals requires a lot of time, love, money, and supplies.
Donating wish list items helps us with the day-to-day care of our animals and supports our operational needs. Items can be dropped off during the humane society hours of operation.
Remember, even used items can help our animals. We only ask that they are in good condition. If you have a question about a wish list item, please contact the shelter directly.
Remember all donations are tax deductible!
- Medium- and large-size kitten hammocks (they are found in pet stores in the ferret section)
- Medium covered litter boxes
- Small litter boxes – kitten size
- Small plush cat beds – kitten size
- Friskies or 9 Lives pate canned food
- Ceramic crocks for food and water – small and large
- Scoopable litter*
- Toys (especially toys that make noise, and small mice)
- Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs
- Toys – variety
- Grain Free treats
- Raw Hide treats – all sizes
- Soft Treats – such as Bacon Strips, Pupperoni, etc.
General Shelter Supplies
- Garbage bags* – 13-gallon tall kitchen drawstring bags
- Garbage bags* – 39-gallon lawn/leaf drawstring bags
- Legal, letter, and small notepads
- Telephone message pads – 2-part carbonless
- Blank address labels – 1 X 2 5/8 and 2 X 4
- Manila 3-tab folders – letter size
- 25-gallon plastic tubs with lids
- Funding needed for a heavy duty snow blower
- New dehumidifiers – for cat room
- Dog-friendly ice melt
Gift certificates or gift cards to area merchants to purchase supplies as needed.
*We can never have enough of these items.
The Humane Society of Rome animal shelter is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to
The shelter is also open on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information, contact the Humane Society of Rome by calling 315-336-7070 or stop by the shelter, 6247 Lamphear Road. Also, please check out the Humane Society online at http://humanesocietyrome.com.
- 9:00am 10/14/18Rome man grateful to be alive
- 9:00am 10/14/18Wild turkey pic
- 9:00am 10/14/18RACC honors volunteers with dinner, brick display
- 9:00am 10/14/18Lead actor makes ‘Venom’ watchable
- 9:00am 10/14/18Autumn is great time to prepare your lawn for winter, spring