Longtime resident Virgil well versed in shelter life
I am Virgil, a 3-year-old male cat who has been at the shelter since July 2016. Quite a long time, don’t you think? I have a very unique personality — I am independent, love to explore and like to think that I am king of my castle.
I don’t get along very well with other cats so tend to stay in my own space. I love to be petted and would greet you every single morning and night with purrs and snuggles.
I would do best in a home with no children — a quiet environment would be good. I am not necessarily a lap cat but definitely would make someone a fantastic companion.
I do love treats, climbing cat trees, laying in the chair and gazing out the window enjoying the beautiful sunshine. I can be someone’s very best friend, if given a chance. Thank you and I look forward to any interested parties stopping down to see me soon!
A year-and-a-half at the shelter and no one has scooped you up yet? I don’t understand! I have a feeling this time around will be your lucky charm. Have patience, my friend!
Yours truly, Winston
These lucky felines and canines have found their forever homes — Felines: Boots, Simba, Nikki, Buggs, Jeff, Tinkerbell, Sabrina, Maxine, TommyBoy and Nickers. Canines: Copper, Nova, Spencer and Frank. Congratulations to one and all!
Do you adore your pet? Of course you do! Do you ever wish you could have a portrait of your pet to cherish forever? How about one that you painted yourself? Well now is your chance! Mark your calendars for Saturday April 29, as Painting with a Twist gives you the opportunity to join them for a day of painting! The event, from 1-4 p.m., costs $55. Check out additional information on the Humane Society website www.humanesocietyrome.com.
How can I help?
Are you a member of the Humane Society of Rome? It’s easy to join -- just log onto the website www.humanesocietyrome.com and click on the “how can I help” link and look for “MEMBERSHIP.”
If you have an hour or more time a week to spare, please consider becoming a volunteer. You can also find information on how to become a volunteer on the society’s website.
Wonderful gift ideas!
The Humane Society may have the perfect gifts for those you love who may be hard to buy for, including a wide variety of t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, and lots more!
Not just can you get a great gift that is perfect for an animal lover but when you buy from the Humane Society you also help its cats and dog!
Science Diet for sale
The Humane Society offers Science Diet pet food for purchase. Sales help the Humane Society and also provide premium food for your pets at the same time.
Donation wish list:
• Medium covered cat litter boxes;
• Small plush cat beds;
• Scoopable kitty litter; and
• Cat toys (especially toys that make noise and small tiny mice).
• Nylabone Dog Chew Bones for all size dogs;
• Dog treats – variety;
• Grain-free dog treats; and
• Rawhide treats (all sizes).
General shelter supplies:
• 13-gallon tall kitchen drawstring garbage bags;
• 39-gallon lawn/leaf drawstring bags;
• Copy paper;
• Legal, letter and small notepads;
• Post-It Note;
• Telephone message pads (2 part carbonless);
• AA and AAA batteries;
• Blank labels (1 x 2 5/8 in.) and (2 x 4 in.); and
• Manila three-tab folders (letter size).
• Weed Eater – gas powered;
• Lawn Mower and/or riding mower in good condition;
• Snow shovels; and
• Pet-friendly ice melt pellets.
The Humane Society of Rome Shelter, 6247 Lamphear Rd, is open for people to come and find forever friends and new members of the family from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. The shelter is closed on Monday. For information, call 336-7070 or go online to www.humanesocietyrome.com.
- 9:00am 05/28/17Utica College to offer new online degree in data science
- 9:00am 05/28/17Teddy’s Treats gears up for summer with new Delta Lake location
- 9:00am 05/28/17‘78 RFA grad to be inducted into Science Hall of Fame
- 9:00am 05/28/17Things people don’t know — but should — about Medicare
- 9:00am 05/28/17Floyd Grange hears of Girl Scout trip