Grizzlies capture OneHockey tourney
The Rome Grizzlies earned a 3-0 victory over the Kingston Canadians out of Ontario to win the Squirt A championship during the OneHockey Tournament in Syracuse on Nov. 19.
The Grizzlies outscored their opponents 29-6 throughout the tourney and goalie Donte Sparace posted two shutouts.
Throughout the tournament, Tyler Lokker tallied 12 points, nine goals and three assists and Will Leonard had four goals and one assist. Both were named most valuable players for the Squirt A champion Grizzlies.
In the championship game, Shane Townsend scored twice and Sean Graziano also scored for Rome. Tanner Spina dished out two assists in the 3-0 victory.
In preliminary round games, Rome defeated Syracuse Valley 13-1 on Nov. 17 and defeated Cumberland Ontario Jr. Grads 5-1 and lost to Kingston 4-3 on Nov. 18. The Grizzlies then defeated Cumberland again, 5-0 in the semifinal and won the final on Nov. 19.
The team is made up of Christopher Brement, Jacob Bruno, Robert Dorfman, Dante Fredericks, Graziano, Eric Keown, will Leonard, Lokker, Jackson Marchione, Andrew Mellace, Sparace, Spina, Townsend and Aiden Van Wie. The head coach of the squad is Mark Keown and he is assisted by Rich Townsend, Geoff Marchione, Nate Van Wie and Scott Brement.
- 6:00am 12/15/17Seven things to do in the Rome region this week
- 9:00am 12/10/17Rome woman gives back by helping spread holiday joy
- 9:00am 12/10/17Check out the latest books — and more — at Jervis Public Library
- 9:00am 12/10/17Columnist has Christmas wishes for local sports personalities
- 9:00am 12/10/17Rome native to host football and baseball camps